New York, NY
Are you passionate about international literature and looking to learn all about the nonprofit literary field? Are you an excellent writer and exceptionally organized? Then you may be the next Development and Communications Associate for Words without Borders, the online magazine for international literature. Reporting to the Executive Director and working closely with the editorial team, the Associate will support the organization’s fundraising activities, external communications, and general administration. The ideal candidate will be able to manage a wide range of responsibilities while working collaboratively with a small and dynamic team.
Development and Administration:
- Maintain and update contact data, correspondence, and grant activities in CRM database
- Conduct research on foundation and individual giving prospects as assigned
- Manage fundraising calendar, including grant deadlines
- Assist in the preparation of donation acknowledgment letters and grant materials
- Process donations, invoices, and payments to freelancers and vendors
- Coordinate and execute email and direct mail appeals
- Implement procedures for digital and physical file retrieval, retention, and transfer
- Schedule and staff meetings
- Oversee office supply inventory
- Perform other administrative tasks as assigned
Communications and Outreach:
- Prepare and distribute external communications including press release and e-newsletter
- Research issue-related press contacts and maintain press database
- Manage WWB social media platforms and implement social media outreach campaigns
- Develop new partnerships for cross-promotion and events
- Coordinate the design and printing of promotional materials
- Help plan, market, and execute special events, including fundraisers and literary events
- Track event budgets and research potential vendors
- Attend relevant literary events and conferences
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Journalism, or related field
- 2-3 years relevant experience, preferably in a non-profit or start-up setting
- A self-starter with a record of working effectively both on a team and independently
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize competing tasks; exceptional organizational skills
- Excellent writing skills with experience crafting external communications
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google applications
- Prior experience maintaining CRM database, with special consideration given to candidates with Salesforce expertise
- Experience managing social media accounts; knowledge of Google Analytics and Google Ad Words desired
- Demonstrated interest in international literature
- Knowledge of content management systems (CMS) desired
- Basic Photoshop and HTML desired
- Experience planning and executing events desired
This is a full-time position based out of the WWB office in New York City. WWB is an equal opportunity employer. At this time, we are not in a position to consider candidates without the requisite permission to work in the United States.
Salary range: $32,000-$36,000 DOE
Competitive benefits package.
Start date: September 1, 2015
To apply, please send a résumé, 1-2 page writing sample, and a cover letter highlighting your relevant skills and how the position aligns with your career goals to [email protected] with “Development and Communications Associate” in the subject line. No calls please.
Words without Borders
Founded in 2003, Words without Borders is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to building cultural understanding through the translation, publication, and promotion of the finest contemporary international literature. Our publications and programs open doors for readers of English around the world to the multiplicity of viewpoints, richness of experience, and literary perspective on world events offered by writers in other languages. We seek to connect international writers to the general public, to students and educators, and to print and other media and to serve as a primary online location for a global literary conversation. Our online education program, WWB Campus, introduces high school and college students to eye-opening international literature. For more details visit: wordswithoutborders.org and wwb-campus.org.
This copy is for your personal, noncommercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution by contacting us at email@example.com.