New York, NY
The Digital Marketing & Communications Manager will drive growth in engagement and audience across Words Without Borders’s online platforms. The ideal candidate will be an organized self-starter ready to think creatively about how to grow the audience for international writing and increase engagement within the communities we serve. This is an exciting opportunity for an early-career communications professional eager to make an impact within a growing international literary organization.
Founded in 2003, Words Without Borders cultivates global awareness by offering unparalleled access to international writing in English translation. Reaching readers around the world, our website provides a vital platform for today’s international writers and literary translators. Our programs include a digital platform for international writing in translation, an online education program for students and educators, and public events in New York City.
Working closely with the executive director and the editorial, education, and development staff, the manager will develop and implement digital communications strategies aligned with our overall organizational goals. Key responsibilities include:
- Manage and expand WWB’s social media presence by sharing literary and programmatic content on social media. Implement social media strategies aimed at reaching new audiences and increasing engagement.
- Coordinate with the editorial team to develop creative marketing plans for international literary content.
- Devise and execute email and social media campaigns to promote WWB’s mission, fundraising, and strategic priorities.
- Prepare and distribute external communications including press releases, event invitations, and e-newsletters. Coordinate the occasional design, printing, and distribution of promotional materials.
- Monitor and provide regular reports on website, newsletter, and social media metrics. Suggest and refine content strategies to address opportunities, trends, and challenges.
- Help to set and meet goals for increasing website traffic, newsletter subscribers, and social media followers.
- Increase third-party mentions and referrals by developing and maintaining partnerships for cross-promotion and pitching WWB content and news to external outlets.
- Stay on top of digital communication trends; serve as an in-house expert on digital outreach strategies and oversee their implementation. Coordinate with the executive director to seek external expertise and consultation as needed.
- Manage in-kind advertising grant from Google AdWords.
- Coordinate the sale and placement of advertising on WWB platforms.
- Oversee the work of communications intern.
- 3-5 years of professional experience in digital marketing, communications, or related fields, media or literary setting preferred. Prior social media management experience is a must.
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills; excellent attention to detail.
- Motivated self-starter capable of working independently and on a collaborative team. Must be capable of taking initiative and willing to pitch in on other projects when needed.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, prioritize workload, and meet deadlines.
- Comfortable taking risks, testing hypotheses, and analyzing results to inform and refine strategy; track record of demonstrating sound judgment.
- Strong design sense and experience in Photoshop is required. Experience in InDesign is a plus.
- Proficiency using Mac OS, Microsoft Office, contact management and email marketing systems (Salesforce and Mailchimp desired), and social media tools including Facebook, Hootsuite, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- Experience with evaluating and reporting on Google Analytics and social media metrics; experience with Google AdWords desired.
- Demonstrated interest in international literature. Knowledge of another language and/or cultural context strongly desired.
This part-time position requires a three-day per week commitment and will be based out of Words Without Borders’s Brooklyn office. Salary range is $28,000-$31,000 per year DOE plus paid time off. Candidates must have the requisite permission to work in the United States.
Words Without Borders does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of religion, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested candidates may email a resume and cover letter indicating how this position aligns with their skill set and career goals to Karen M. Phillips, executive director, [email protected] with the subject line “Digital Marketing & Communications Manager.” No phone calls or social media contact, please.
Application deadline: February 28, 2019
Published Feb 4, 2019 Copyright 2019 Words Without Borders